* CHRONICLE - PENSIONERS CONVERGE HERE, DISCUSS ISSUES OF THEIR CHOICE * CHRONICLE - WHERE EVEN THE CHAT COLUMN PRODUCES GREAT DISCUSSIONS * CHRONICLE - WHERE THE MUSIC IS RISING IN CRESCENDO !

               
                                   

Friday, October 09, 2015

Time Pass 

In the "INTERREGNUM" 

The King and the soothsayer


In medieval India there was a famous King.  In his country there was a soothsayer cum astrologer known as Dharmi, who used to predict the future and tell remedies and parikarams (remedial rituals) for the afflicted and ailing people.   He was an ardent Bhaktha of Durgamatha.   People used to flock towards him craving for his advice and best wishes. He became more famous than the King in that country.  One day the King sent his messengers and brought him to the Court.   The King ordered the soothsayer to predict his (King's) future and praise the Kingdom.  He refused and told the KIng that " my Matha wishes that I should help the really suffering and ailing poor and not the King.  The King was displeased and roared: "Dharmi, for disobeying the King, I can sentence you to death.   Today I am letting you off.  Tomorrow I am to test your soothsaying ability; you are actually cheating innocent people.   If you fail in the test you will be beheaded"

Dharmi was brought to the King's court the next day.  The King said in high tone in the presence of hundreds of people - " Dharmi, if you are a true astrologer and soothsayer, tell me whether the Bird in my hand is having its life or whether its life is gone ?"   "   If your prediction is wrong you will be beheaded.   This is my order." (The King was holding a small bird in his palm)

Dharmi was perplexed.   He understood that the King was playing a GAME.  He prayed his DurgaMatha for a moment and uttered - "Maharaj, it is all in your hand."   Many didn't understand the answer, the King too.  The King asked him to explain. 

He explained: Maharaj, if I say the bird is alive, you may crush its neck and show that it is dead;  and if I say the Bird is dead, you may allow the Bird to fly away.   Your real intention is to prove me wrong and to behead me.   That is why I expressed the reality that the Bird"s life is in your hand.  The whole audience applauded and shouted Dharmi ki Jai Ho".  The King had no option but to allow Dharmi to go.
Moral:   
1.   Anticipate the designs of your opponent and Act accordingly to reach your objective.
 2.   I am in search of a Dharmi who can predict when will I win the Case ?

(Courtesy: VS Rajamani)